Hello! Tim’s November tag is awesome – I love it! I love the pumpkin and Fall theme and enjoyed trying out the different techniques. I don’t have a lot of the supplies used by Tim, so I had to improvise quite a bit. I do want to apologize in advance for the lengthy post, but I wanted to show some progress as I went along. Also, some of those in progress pics are a bit fuzzy – sorry about that, too.
Here’s my version:
I have been wanting to do a Rainbow Bridge theme and thought the pumpkin could fit in with that. This past August, our approximately 15 year-old cat (Licorice, but nicknamed Lickers) had to be euthanized due to illness – I’m not looking for sympathy, I’m just trying to explain my tag. For the first time since my husband and I got married (nearly 33 years at that time), there was no cat in the house 😦 The year prior, we lost another cat who had suddenly become ill (Kitty, our female Ginger). I have had many cats in my life and during my marriage, so I wanted to do a tribute tag for all of them, but I’m portraying the last two cats we had in the tag because they were very close. My theme is Lickers and Kitty after being reunited at the Rainbow Bridge. For those of you unfamiliar with what that is, here’s the poem:
Since I don’t have a pumpkin stamp, I decided to draw one because I remembered watching an art journal video done by Vicky Papaioannou. It was her Fall art journal page and you can see it here: http://www.clips-n-cuts.com/2013/10/art-journal-page-fall/
Her projects are all amazing! In her video, she showed how to draw a pumpkin so I watched again and did the best I could…I’m no artist – LOL! I just drew it on scrap paper and then copied it onto watercolor paper. I also scanned the image and resized it because originally I was thinking about having the large pumpkin and a few smaller ones, and I certainly didn’t want to draw them again! As it turned out, I only used the large one I copied onto watercolor paper.
I also didn’t have the background stamp that Tim used, but I did have a cool background stamp with trees. I tried and tried to make it work, but that rainbow theme was messing me up so I had to move on. I went ahead and colored my tag in rainbow colors, then spritzed with water.
Next, I used Picket Fence distress paint and a brayer and applied to the inside of a Darice embossing folder with leaves.
That toned it down nicely and got rid of the peeled paint mistake at the top, but too much white was showing and it was still more rainbow-y than I wanted, so I distressed first with Tea Dye and then Vintage Photo.
Oops, where’d my rainbow go? I got a bit carried away with the browns, but I liked it and wasn’t starting over again. By this time, I had decided that my ribbon at the top would represent my Rainbow Bridge. I got the tulle and Memento inks out, and inked it. I like how it turned out.
Next, I colored my pumpkin. I don’t have a spritzer, but I do have the new splatter brush (love it!).
I had to find free patterns online for the cats and angel wings and cut them out using watercolor paper. I didn’t take any pics of these steps. I colored Lickers with Black Soot distress ink and used my paint brush and Picket Fence paint to add the speckled white hairs he had as he got older. For Kitty, I think I just used Wild Honey and Dried Marigold and since I couldn’t draw her stripes correctly, I just dabbed on Rusty Hinge using a paint brush. For the wings, I added the little semi-circles with a Ground Espresso distress marker and then went over the wings with a wet paint brush to soften it up.
Using a glue stick, I added gold foil to my tag – not sure how well it shows in the photo. I also added just a tiny bit to the angel wings. I did try adding dimension to the pumpkin using the technique Tim used, but I didn’t have much luck. I didn’t have a proper tool and tried using the end of my paint brush.
I really loved the look of the cork sheet, but I don’t have that either. I do have a big bag of wine corks, though!
It wasn’t too hard to cut through the cork, but I couldn’t cut the layers evenly (reminds me of how my homemade bread looks after I slice that!). I knew, of course, that the dies couldn’t cut through the cork, but I was hoping it would make enough of an impression that I could cut it out. For most of the letters, I had my Big Shot platform opened to tab 1 and used top and bottom pads.
The letters were easy to cut out with scissors. The “O” was the most difficult and I had to use a craft knife to cut out the center. Not perfect, but not too bad. I did dab the top of the letters with some Vintage Photo.
The only other thing I added was the heart ribbon slide – without ribbon because the bow on top was enough. I had thought about altering the color, but the copper looked nice so I left it as is.
I would list my supplies, but this is lengthy enough and I pretty much included the supplies used in the pics.
Thank you so much for your patience and for stopping by. Please feel free to leave comments!