Tim Holtz Tags of 2015 – November

Happy Thanksgiving!  

I hope everyone is having a great holiday.  Since my son had to work today, we had our family celebration yesterday which leaves me some free time today to finish up my tag and get it posted.



Love Tim’s tag for November and this is my second one – I just felt like making another one.  I didn’t make another photo tutorial like the previous one for this month, but I’ll explain what I did.  I ended up with another lengthy post – sorry about that!


Pine cone 1

I actually started on this last week, but with Thanksgiving preparations, I was only able to work on it here and there until I finished it today.  I should have written down which inks I used, but thought I’d remember them all.  Using the plaid background stamp from the Plaid & Nordic Stampers Anonymous set, I inked up my brayer with Picket Fence Distress Paint and stamped the image onto my tag.  After drying with my heat tool, I used my blending tools and added Hickory Smoke distress ink…and some of the browns.  I think I used a combination of Gathered Twigs and Ground Espresso – the white paint really toned it down and left it with a washed-out, dirty look (which I like).  I then added my foil using a glue stick and a gold sheet from the Ranger Foil Sheets – Basics.

Next, I chose the Pine Branch stamp from the Christmas Blueprint 4 set.  I used Ranger Archival ink in black and inked up the words only, stamping onto my tag.  I stamped the branch a few times onto watercolor paper and tried coloring them and fussy cutting, but didn’t like how it looked, so I decided to stamp the branch onto the tag.  At this point I wanted just a little gold foil on the pine branch, so I rubbed the glue stick over the rubber stamp and stamped over the image again, offsetting it a bit.  If I didn’t tell you, you probably wouldn’t know it’s there because you really need to see it in the light and at an angle.


What was I saying about having some free time today?  While I was writing this post, my dog, Candi, started acting weird.  We just got back from the ER where she’s spending the night after becoming hypoglycemic (she’s a diabetic).  Thank goodness my hubby reminded me to give her some Karo syrup before we left the house.  They got her glucose levels back to normal, but she needs to be under observation until sometime tomorrow.  My poor girl-girl.

Back to the tag.  I decided to use the Pine Cone stamp from the Blueprint set and stamped it out 3 times on watercolor paper.  I painted them with Distress Inks and used Antique Linen on some of the tips.  For the remainder, I used a combination of Vintage Photo, Walnut Stain and Gathered Twigs.  I inked the edges and adhered one full pine cone to my tag.  I cut the other pine cones into two halves and used the top and bottom I liked from the others I painted.  I curled them with the end of my paintbrush and adhered using dimensional squares. I did offset them and overlap the top half a bit.  I didn’t splatter them – I didn’t want to use white for snow and black wouldn’t have shown up.  Instead, I used my clear Wink of Stella to add some glimmer, as if it were covered in a light frost.  I didn’t know my Wink of Stella was about dried up, so it’s not as shimmery as I’d like, but you can see it in the light.  Oh, before I did that, I applied just a little gold foil the same way I did with the branch.  Just a touch here and there.

PC13PC10I don’t have the cork sheet, but I found a nice scrap of flannel fabric and I cut the word “Fall” out with the Alterations Alphanumeric 3/4″ tall die set.  They cut through the fabric very nicely.  I adhered that and added a brad on either side.


I scrounged around for some type of adornment for the top, but couldn’t find anything.  I needed to add something, though.  I have a set of dies from Impression Obsession – DIE023-X.  It has a wreath, holly and berries, and a little twig.  Just the right size for the top.  I decided to cut a little pocket where the words “Pine Branch” are and stick some twigs in there (I always cover the back of my tag with patterned paper, which helps keep them in place).  I cut 2 of them out of the silver Metallic Kraft-Core and the other from watercolor paper, which I colored with Brushed Pewter Distress Stain.  I stained all 3 just a little using Walnut Stain distress ink.  I wasn’t going for a Christmas-y look, just thought the silver would look nice with the gray background.


I had previously colored a ribbon with Hickory Smoke distress ink, so I used that and added some Gathered Twigs here and there.


Thanks for stopping by and please feel free to leave any comments.  Have a great day!





5 thoughts on “Tim Holtz Tags of 2015 – November

  1. Hi, Marty –

    Thanks so much for your visits and wonderful comments to my Funkie Junkie efforts… I am sorry I am so late in responding – couldn’t find your blog listed in your google profile, so remembered finally that I LOVED your dog zombie from the October Tim challenge…. and your latest makes are equally wonderful (those mice are precious!). Hopefully have your blog in my “Things I look at regularly” list on my own blog, as I love your work! xxx Lynn


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s