12 Tags of 2016 – January

Hello!  I hope everyone is having an awesome new year!  Speaking of awesome, the technique remix for the 12 Tags of 2016 is an awesome idea – great for those of us who haven’t been participating in the challenges and a fun revisit for those who’ve been at this a long time.   Can’t wait to get started!

As always, Tim’s tag is amazing and I love the look of both techniques together.

2016TAG

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

http://timholtz.com/12-tags-of-2016-january/

Based on my supplies, I decided to go with a snowman theme.  Plus, it’s winter so it seemed appropriate.  Here’s my version of the January technique remix:

snowman1

I don’t have the foil tape sheets, so I had to use aluminum foil which I adhered using multi-matte medium.  I’m sure the foil tape sheets are much sturdier and don’t wrinkle, but I think it adds character and a frosty look to my snowflake background.

snowman4

When it was time to emboss, I cut a slit at the top – ouchy!  I’ve seen Tim videos before where he said he did that, but never tried it myself.  It was hard for me to cut up my beloved embossing folder, but the results are cool so it was worth it.

snowman5snowman6

snowman7snowman8

Next, I covered the tag with Brushed Pewter distress stain.  I know it seems silly to cover it with basically the same color, but that’s what I had on hand and I do think it added something. After drying it, I painted it with Black Soot distress ink, blended it in and removed the excess paint.  The embossing just pops – love it! 

snowman9snowman10

For the chalkboard technique,  I used black cardstock.  This is such a cool technique!  When I was coloring over the embossing (after using the Ranger Frosted Crystal Antiquities embossing powder) with my chalk, I decided to add some color to the snowman’s scarf since there’s also colored chalk in my box from the dollar store.

snowman11snowman13

After layering the hat and scarf, I adhered to the tag with score tape – I don’t have those cute little mini fasteners.  I picked a word band and covered with Picket Fence distress paint, then removed excess.  I used brads from my stash and distressed them as best I could since they were black.  They aren’t perfect, but they work.  After that, I added some plain light gray ribbon that I inked a little bit with Black Soot distress ink.  I’m happy with how my tag turned out and I had fun with these techniques.  Can’t wait to see what’s next!!

Here’s some close-ups:

snowman14snowman 15

Thanks for stopping by!

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “12 Tags of 2016 – January

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s