Hello, can’t believe we’re already on to the fourth set of techniques for the 12 Tags of 2016. Here’s Tim’s tag:
I’ve been working on my tag off and on since the first Sunday of April and below is my inspiration…it was the same thing the next Sunday as well!
This month my goal was using only supplies I had on hand…I achieved that goal, but not sure snowmen should wear mosaics…but this was the best die I had on hand size-wise.
I started with the mosaic piece, because I knew that would not be easy for me. I like looking at mosaics, but that’s about it. I used scraps from my TH Yuletide paper pad (awesome paper!) and another TH pad with seasonal papers. I covered my snowman with embossing paste and adhered scrap pieces with Glossy Accents, then inked around the edges with Walnut Stain and, I think, Vintage Photo. I later inked again using Ground Espresso. At this point, the snowman didn’t have an eye, but I had to add one because it just bugged me too much! It seemed to take me forever just placing those pieces of paper on the snowman. For his bow tie, I cheated a little. I do have a die for that but didn’t use it. I had one cut out already and used that as my pattern. Later on, I used sticky embossing powder and added Distress Rock Candy clear glitter to the snowman and the tag.
I don’t have the woodgrain cardstock, so I used my Tim Holtz woodgrain embossing folder. Since I didn’t want the impressions too deep, I ran it through my Big Shot with the platform fully open. I followed the technique, first painting with Picket Fence distress paint and after drying, using 3 of the 4 distress stains I have (Tea Dye, Antique Linen, Brushed Pewter). Then I inked and played around, taking away color, adding more again…still needed something, so I decided to emboss it again using my Tim Holtz folder with snowflakes, again with the platform fully open. I did want my snowflakes to be subtle, but not that subtle. I kind of liked the background, although it was too light for my snowman so I started over. Did the same thing, but this time after painting with Picket Fence, I covered with Tea Dye and Candied Apple distress stains. The tea dye made it a bit orange-y, so I played around again and just kept inking over the tag with the different brown distress inks. I like how there’s almost a pinstripe effect to this tag. The snowflakes were too subtle, so I ran it back through the Big Shot the correct way, and that was better. Here are the 2 tags side by side:
Since I liked how the background turned out, I didn’t cut it and adhere to another tag that had been stained. As you can see from my tags, I wasn’t good at lining them up in the embossing folder when I had to move them up to emboss the bottom of the tag.
I think the hardest part of this project was trying to figure out what embellishments to add. I really don’t have anything on hand that I thought would fit, so I ended up going back to those pieces of scrap paper and adding some. I also had a strip of film and added that since my idea started with a picture…LOL!
Next I added some tulle that I added a little bit of glitter to and inked a bit with Ground Espresso to tone it down. The twine I added was around a bakery box we had gotten this week. Hubby asked if I wanted to save it and it came in handy. I attached a snowman charm I had on hand, after giving it a bath in Picket Fence distress paint and then wiping some off. Here are some other pics:
I’m looking forward to seeing what everyone else did…the last time I looked at the other entries, there were only about 4 of them. Thanks for stopping by and feel free to leave comments 🙂