Happy Valentine’s Day! It’s my day to post on the Craft-Dee BowZ blog – Don’t forget to check out the February challenge. The theme is always Anything Goes and Include a Handmade Bow, and this month’s sponsor is A Day for Daisies. They have a great variety of digital stamps to choose from – check them out! We’d love for you to play along, and you could win a prize!
Since my day to post fell on Valentine’s Day, I decided to make cards for my “children” who are huge fans of “The Walking Dead.” Hope they like these!
I’m sure you recognize that this is the Tim Holtz Zombie die set:
The first thing I did was choose my background paper, which is from an old TH Seasonal Stash 12×12 paper pad that I picked up years ago at a scrapbook garage sale. I distressed and inked the edges with Vintage Photo and Black Soot distress inks (all of the inks used are distress inks). The reverse side of that paper was used for the Zombies’ faces and the bottom of the cards.
Next I worked on the Zombies. I wanted to pick up on the blue in the background paper, so I used Black Magic Core’dinations color core paper for the boy’s hair – love that paper! All of the paper is black, with different colors on the reverse. What fun I had with this guy’s hair and eyebrows!
After finishing up with him (other than the glasses), I worked on the girl’s hair and eyebrows. Since she has a lot of hair, it would have been too much to have it cut out entirely of the Black Magic paper, so I cut out 2 shades of gray, black and then the red Black Magic for her “highlights.”
This isn’t the first time I’ve made these 2 characters. A few Halloween’s ago, I made them for my kids (I gave the guy more hair this time around). The consensus was that she looked like a Librarian, and she still does. It took me a little while to re-construct that hairdo of hers.
I used a scrap of the blue Black Magic paper for his “collar” (they’re both wearing turtlenecks – LOL!) and embossed with a Spellbinders Hearts embossing folder and then lightly inked with Black Soot. I wanted her collar to match, but not completely, so I used a scrap of blue/white dotted paper and gave it the same treatment as his. I also added some subtle hearts to the background papers with my Hand Drawn Hearts stencil from Simon Says Stamp and Faded Jeans.
I used my bow tool to make these small, single loop bows with blue Tulle from Donna – I just love Tulle!! It might be hard to tell, but the bow on the boy’s card is smaller than the girl’s. Look how cute these little bows turned out! If I tried making small bows myself with this kind of fabric, well, let’s just say they wouldn’t look like this!
I made the same type of eyeglasses as last time, but updated the finish on both. The die set I used is MFT Die-namics, “Geek is Chic Glasses.” The boy’s is cut from TH Metallic Kraft color core, scuffed up a bit. Hers needed to be more girly, so I used a TH red glitter Deco sheet (Christmas set). Last time I had a hard time with the lenses falling out because my acrylic was too thin. This time I cut another pair for each out of thicker acrylic and it’s the bottom layer of the glasses, which worked much better. I have cardstock in between for stability, so the glasses are 3 layers (acrylic, cardstock, decorative layer).
I used the same Spellbinders embossing folder for the bottom of the card and then inked with Black Soot, Fired Brick and Candied Apple, until I was satisfied with the color. I added some water drops and removed some color, though it’s not too noticeable.
The large hearts and “Be Mine” came from Hero Arts “My Monthly Hero” last January, and the “valentine” die was released at that time to go with the kit. My smaller hearts were cut from a Paper Artist (Hot off the Press) die set called “Truck O’ Goodies.” I used some Washi tape from Michael’s for the girl’s card and colored over it with my Pitt Big Brush Marker in Nougat.
I think that’s it! Sorry for the long post and so many pics. Thanks for stopping by and please feel free to leave comments. Have a wonderful Valentine’s Day!
I’m playing along with the following challenges:
(favorite tool is Big Shot)