Hello! It’s another new month already and that means it’s time for a new challenge at Craft-Dee BowZ! The theme is always Anything Goes and Include a Handmade Bow. Why not check it out and play along, and try to win a prize. This month’s sponsor is Beccy’s Place. Beccy’s online store has a great variety of stamps and/or stamp sets (digital and clear) to choose from. She also has freebies and tutorials – check out her site!
I chose one of the images from the lovely digital set, “Birdsong“. Love that set and you can do so much with it. Here’s my card:
Before I get into the card details, I wanted to take a few moments to mention that my sister, Gail, and I had a recent (wonderful) week-long “card-making retreat” in SC and we had the pleasure of meeting the adorable (inside and out) and extremely talented Autumn Clark of Sew Paper Paint. The three of us talked and visited for hours and it was like meeting up with someone you’ve been friends with for years. Thank you so much, Autumn, for making the hour-long drive to spend time with us – we can’t wait to see you again, AND, thank you for these beautiful gifts you made for us: the beautiful card (for Gail) and plaque (for me) along with beautiful floral embellishments for both of us. Aren’t these gorgeous??!! They are even more beautiful in person.
Back to the card…I ended up coloring this twice – I wasn’t completely happy with my blue sky in the first version, so I embossed it (used Anna Griffin’s Francesca Lace folder) and then sanded and liked it much better. If only I had stopped there…but since I didn’t, I cut the bird out and adhered him to version 2. I do like the added texture he has.
I used Prismacolor colored pencils and blended with Gamsol to color the bird and grass reeds, and distress inks for the sky. The pencils used for the bird are: 915 (Lemon Yellow), 916 (Canary Yellow), 935 (Black) and 942 (Yellow Ochre). I used a tiny amount of white acrylic paint on his wings and tail, and a white Uniball pen on the dot in his eye, which is covered with Glossy Accents.
His beak and legs were colored with 942 (Yellow Ochre), 946 (Dark Brown), and 1002 (Yellowed Orange). For the grasses, I only used 941 (Light Umber).
Using my blending tool, I colored the sky with Tumbled Glass, Faded Jeans and just a tiny amount of Chipped Sapphire. I was happy with the soft look, but still had to fight the urge to add drops of water and blot away color.
For the background, I decided to use a scrap of black patterned paper from my stash, but it needed toning down. I embossed a piece of vellum using the same folder as on the bird, and placed that over the paper. That was then placed over a piece of (adhesive) burlap from Tim Holtz Textured Surfaces and then onto the black card base.
I wanted to add a little more dimension to the card, so I cut out some “greenery” from my set of Tim Holtz Holiday Greens Mini die set in black paper. For the extra texture, I used embossing powders. I wanted to use Black Soot Distress embossing powder, but I don’t have that. I coated the greens with 5 coats of powder as follows: Pumice Stone Distress embossing powder; Ranger Black embossing powder, Pumice Stone, Black, Pumice Stone. I love the look of these 2 powders combined. My black embossing powder has a glossy finish, which is why the last coat was Pumice Stone, then I inked over that with Black Staz-on. It still has a bit of shine, but not nearly as much. Below is a pic of the before and after Staz-on (sorry it’s not the best photo, though I tried).
I added a sentiment from my set of Dina Wakley Scribby Birds. It’s bigger than what I wanted to use, but I like that sentiment. It also covers up most of the cool spider web on the image, unfortunately.
To finish, I made my beautiful yellow bow with my bow tool. I love this ribbon that Donna sent and it’s just perfect for my bird image. It’s easy to make the perfect size bow for your project every time!
I apologize for the lengthy post, but wanted to include as many details as possible. Have a great day and thanks for stopping by!
I would like to play along in the following challenges: