Hello! First of all, sorry this is so long but hopefully you don’t mind the photos 🙂 As I mentioned in my last post, last month my sister and I had our annual crafting retreat. While shopping, she found a beautiful Hero Arts floral rubber stamp and I knew it would make a beautiful dimensional flower, so I got one, too. We really didn’t have much time to play around with it because we were each making a Heartfelt Creations Flip-fold Mini Album (whew, what a workout that was!). She’ll be here next month on her birthday so I decided to use that stamp for her birthday card. Hopefully she likes it!
I stamped my image 4 times using archival ink and colored with distress inks – Rusty Hinge and I believe I added Spiced Marmalade, but I colored several layers and spritzed and dabbed color off and on…usually I take pics of the ink pads I use for this reason – I can’t remember and I just made it this past week! I wanted to add a little more color to the top layer and used my red Wink of Stella. I used clear Wink of Stella for the remaining layers. I used my blending tool to color the backs of the layers with Rusty Hinge so the flowers wouldn’t be white underneath. I watered down some white acrylic paint and splattered my flower, but I think I went a little overboard. Oh well. For the center, I glued down clear beads then painted with black acrylic paint (all I had was matte).
I thought I would do something different by stamping and coloring a scrap piece of embossed vellum I had, but didn’t like it so cut out 2 large layers on the Tattered Florals die using white tulle. I do love tulle. I then had to stamp and color another flower to add another layer.
For my background paper, I found the perfect size in my scrap pile but the color was too close to the color of my flower. I added a thin layer of Gesso, then added some color back using Rusty Hinge. It’s fun altering patterned paper to make it into what you need. After that I used the Coffee Stage-it stencil (with white embossing paste) from Elizabeth Craft to add the top and bottom borders.
For my next layer, I used a square doily that I picked up some months ago at a local scrapbook store. I wanted to dress it up a bit more, so I heat embossed gold microfine glitter (Elizabeth Craft) combined with clear embossing powder. I think it’s 1 part glitter to 3 parts embossing powder, but I don’t completely remember since I made up a supply last year after seeing it done on Paper Wishes. To finish it off, I added some gold peel-off border stickers.
It seems I can never do a card or tag without some kind of “adventure” (i.e., mistakes). I had this nice wooden flourish from Riffraff Designs that I found in my stash (don’t you love when you forget you have something?!) and I wanted to do a crackled finish on it. I have a few crackle mediums – an old one I didn’t have luck with and a new one I picked up at Hobby Lobby. To make a long story shorter, after covering it with acrylic paint I applied the new one and it didn’t work, either. I fiddled and did this and that and had to turn it over and start all over. I don’t know why I thought the old crackle medium would suddenly work, but after painting, I decided to apply a thin layer (as in not cover the width entirely). LOL, it looked awful! I didn’t want to throw it out because it was the right size and shape, etc. As a last effort, I got out the Vintage Photo distress ink pad and added some of that. Sometimes I think distress inks cure all with paper crafting because then it didn’t look so bad and kind of looked like that was what I intended to do all along! Whew!
For my sentiment, I used a stamp I already have, even though it’s too big. I stamped it, reduced it to about 40%, then cut it out using Pinpoint Main Street Tags by Poppy. It needed a little something else, so I embossed it using an Anna Griffin folder, inked with Vintage Photo distress ink, and added a ribbon.
I think that about covers it, but I still have photos of my flower that I’d like to share. This is really the first flower I’ve made using a rubber stamp (with this many layers) and I’m happy with how it turned out. Thanks for stopping by and please feel free to leave a comment!!
You can see the shimmer in the photo above.
I would like to enter the following challenges:
(add some shimmer)
(use patterned paper)