Hello, time for another Tim tag! First of all, I apologize that my text and pics don’t always match in this post. I don’t know what the problem was, but I kept rearranging and then something else was mismatched. Time to move on.
Last August was the first time I participated in the Tim tag challenge and my tag had a Christmas theme because I love Christmas (and Halloween!). When I finished, I couldn’t believe how ugly that tag was and I almost threw it away. I decided that since I went to the trouble, I’d be brave and enter the challenge. I couldn’t believe how lucky I was to have my tag as one of the 12 selected – wow, must have been a pity win – LOL! Seriously, though, having Tim choose my tag gave me the inspiration to keep trying every month.
I really enjoyed this month’s techniques – here’s Tim’s awesome tag:
For my tag background, I used Wilted Violet spray stain and forgot to take a pic before I added the other colors because it wasn’t the only tag I made…after coloring the other tags, when it was time to spritz them with water, I grabbed the Wilted Violet spray instead, so you can imagine. Always an adventure. For this tag, I blended in Carved Pumpkin, then Vintage Photo and Black Soot around the edges.
I used Grungeboard for my frameworks because I wanted some depth to put those crazy eyes in, along with embossed (Poison embossing folder) metallic Kraft-core paper for the top layer to add some texture. I cut and colored silver deco sheets with Wilted Violet, though sometimes the color doesn’t show up in pics.
The crazy eyes are actually two layers – the first time around, I used a Versamarker pen around the eyes and it looked sloppy. So I re-did them all and used the embossing pad on a bigger area before embossing and it turned out much better. Here’s the eyes I didn’t use (sorry it’s not the best pic). When I added the eyes, I put them in whatever direction they needed to be to be looking at the cat.
I wanted to use a Crazy Cat for my silhouette, and the broom from the Crazy Things set. I thought the broom would need more detail, so I stamped in black and embossed with clear embossing powder.
Originally, I was going to have the cat sitting on the broom the correct way and on the right side of my tag. I was thinking about putting my bow somewhere on the left side of the tag so that I didn’t have to punch a hole on the top, but then I messed up.
It had been a few months since I got the sewing machine out, and this was only my second time using it. After doing a few practice runs on scrap fabric, I ran my tag through and thought I’d do a few different stitches. I glanced at the tag and put my sewing machine away. Then I noticed that not only was the stitching crooked, I had sewed on the wrong side of the tag! It would have been so easy to cover up with the arrangement above, but I decided to “embrace imperfection” by removing the bottom stitches and adding a spider rub-on. I was able to put him on and cover up all of the holes. Much better! At that point, I decided he was so freaked out by the eyes and spiders, that he ended up getting on the broom in the wrong direction.
My tulle bow is simple – I cut it here and there to try and give it a tattered look, then added another set of eyes, some orange jute and a scaredy-cat charm.
Sorry for the long post. Thanks for stopping by and please feel free to leave comments 🙂
I would also like to enter the following challenge:
(must have stitches which are behind the cat)
(furrything goes as long as there’s a cat)